Monday, 10 December 2018
728 x 90

Enid woman charged with cruelty to animals

ENID, Okla. — A 23-year-old Enid woman was charged last week with cruelty to animals after police say she left a German Shepherd in poor condition.

Makyna Suzanne Palmer was charged Oct. 3 with one felony count of cruelty to animals, according to court documents filed in Garfield County District Court. The crime is punishable by imprisonment for up to five years, or up to one year in county jail and/or a fine up to $5,000. 

On Sept. 25, Enid Police Department Officer Benjamin Streck went to a home in the 800 block of East Cedar in response to a reported burglary alarm, according to a probable cause affidavit filed in the case. While other officers prepared to make entry to an open front door, Streck moved to the side to watch the back doors and windows.

While approaching the back yard Streck witnessed a German Shepherd, later identified as Caesar, lying in the grass behind the fence, according to the affidavit. Streck wrote Caesar looked grossly underweight and his demeanor was unusually docile and lethargic. 

“He stood a few times and would lie down after a short time of standing,” Streck wrote. “I could see that his hips and spine looked to be deformed and bones were protruding and clearly visible. He was shaky, timid and seemingly emaciated. I tried to elicit some type of reaction out of the dog, but he would only lie down in the grass after standing for a few seconds and stare at me.”

Caesar also appeared to be tangled in a cable that was hooked to his collar, with the other end seemingly attached to some sort of washing machine motor, according to the affidavit. Streck wrote the dog had matted fur, with what looked like bug bites on Caesar’s ears and body. 

Streck also witnessed a baking sheet with a few broken kibbles of food and a rusted skillet with small amounts of muddy water in it, according to the affidavit. He also saw a blue children’s pool out of reach of the dog’s cable filled with “green, foul-smelling water.”

After the home was cleared and while officers were waiting for the residence’s key holder to arrive, animal control was requested. Streck observed while waiting several cats jumping in windows and running around, and the home emitted an “overwhelming odor of feces and urine,” according to the affidavit. 

The other officers said there were boxes completely full of feces and urine, in addition to stains, urine puddles and feces all around the house, according to the affidavit. They added the “house was in such a state of disarray and filth that we believed it had been abandoned for a substantial length of time, and the previous owners must have abandoned the animals as well.”

Palmer and a man soon arrived at the home, and said they owned the house. After Streck asked about the dog, cats and condition of the home, Palmer said the man was in the army and training since January, but that she’d been living in the residence, according to the affidavit. She said she rescues cats and was trying to re-home them, and that Caesar had belonged to a relative before being given to a number of owners and eventually ending up with her.

Caesar had previously been “living in more egregious conditions than hers,” Palmer told Streck, according to the affidavit. Palmer said Caesar had worms, a mental deficiency, and bone and joint problems. 

“She said that there is clearly more wrong with him, but she cannot bring him to a veterinarian because she has outstanding bills from another animal and cannot afford it,” Streck wrote. “I asked if she had provided any medication or other over-the-counter treatments for the conditions she knew Caesar had, she said no.” 

Caesar was voluntarily surrendered, and animal control took him to Olsen Animal Clinic. 

Streck was told at the animal clinic that Caesar was extremely malnourished and hadn’t been properly fed in weeks, and weighed just 65.8 pounds when he should have weighed in between 85 to 90 pounds, according to the affidavit. It was reported Caesar’s gums were very pale, possibly caused by hook or heart worms and that Caesar also had a heart murmur and fly bites behind his ears. 

The dog was kept at the hospital for blood, urine and stool testing, according to the affidavit. 

Palmer was arraigned on the felony charge Thursday, Oct. 4 before Special District Judge Brian Lovell, with bond set at $5,000, online court records show. Her next appearance is set for 1:15 p.m. Nov. 5.  


The Bark Box

« »
Free Email Updates
Get the latest content first.
We respect your privacy.