Holistic vets have been providing some interesting reports about the benefits of CBD oil for dogs in their care. A senior Staffordshire Terrier had a six centimeter mammary tumor and metastasis that disappeared in three months and didnât come back. A Jack Russell Terrier had a severe heart murmur and painful arthritis and, after a month, he wanted to go for long walks and his murmur was much improved.
These are two examples of how Australian veterinarian Edward Bassingthwaighte discovered how CBD oil could be a critical part of his holistic veterinary practice. âI simply canât explain the improved heart murmur,â says Bassingthwaite. âThey normally donât get better.â
Researchers are turning their attention to this herb and, so far, theyâre finding thereâs lots to like. And just as CBD has helped humans, your dog can reap the same health-boosting (and even life-saving) benefits.
Letâs look at the ten things you might not know about this often-misunderstood herb and the research that shows its promise in helping dogs with a variety of common health issues.
- CBD Is Not PsychoactiveÂ CBD (cannabidiol) is a compound found in cannabis and hemp. THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) can also be found in cannabis and itâs this compound that gives marijuana its psychoactive properties. Most CBD oils are just thatâthe beneficial CBD without the THC. And they typically come from hemp, not marijuana. In short, your dog wonât get âhighâ from CBD oil, heâll get the relaxation without the intoxication. And speaking of relaxationâŚ
- Anxiety ReductionÂ Does your dog suffer from separation anxiety or noise phobias? CBD has been extensively studied for its effect on stress and anxiety. In humans, itâs been found to:
â˘ Reduce anxiety caused by public speaking
â˘ Â Reduce anxiety in both healthy people and people with anxiety disorders
â˘ Â Be effective for panic disorders and post-traumatic stress disorders
- Fighting CancerÂ CBD and other substances found in hemp and cannabis have been found to have an anti-tumor effect. CBD has even been shown to stop cancer cells from growing and increased tumor cell death.
â˘ CBD helps the immune systemâs killer cells to cause cancer cell death.
â˘ CBD kills cancer cells by blocking their ability to produce energy.
â˘ CBDâs anti-tumor properties slow and inhibit glioma cell growth.
â˘ CBD can help increase the efficacy of conventional cancer treatment.
- Seizures & EpilepsyÂ Itâs estimated that up to five percent of dogs suffer from seizures. Most dogs with seizures are put on drugs such as phenobarbital and potassium bromide. While they may help control the seizures, they can be extremely harmful to your dogâs liver and other organs. And the drugs donât work in all cases.
CBD has been shown to work well in drug-resistant epilepsy. In one study, seven of eight patients with epilepsy that was resistant to drugs saw a definite improvement within four to five months of taking CBD.
And a survey of children with treatment-resistant epilepsy found that 84 perecent of the children taking CBD had a reduction in the frequency of seizures.
- Pain ReliefÂ The cannabinoids in CBD work so well for pain that scientists are considering it as a new class of drug for the treatment of chronic pain. Studies show CBD to be very effective for:
â˘ Decreasing pain (including neuropathy and nerve-related pain)
â˘ Decreasing the impact of inflammation on oxidative stress (which causes degeneration and premature aging)
â˘ Decreasing inflammation in acute pancreatitis
â˘ Reducing inflammation
â˘ Reducing intestinal inflammation (associated with irritable bowel disease)
- Help with Inflammatory Bowel DiseaseÂ Animal studies show that CBD can prevent colitis (IBD) and restore normal gut motility in inflammatory bowel disease.
- Chronic Inflammation And Autoimmune Disease ReductionÂ CBD has been shown to decrease the production and release of inflammatory cytokines that can cause allergies, hypersensitivities and autoimmunity. It can also suppress something called Th17 dominance, which is a major cause of autoimmune diseases.
CBD also inhibits the production of inflammatory macrophages and decreases chronic inflammation.
CBD is also a powerful antioxidant thatâs shown to be more powerful than vitamins C and E.
- Protection for The Nervous System And Help With Neurodegenerative DiseasesÂ For dogs suffering from degenerative myelopathy and other spine and nerve issues, CBD shows a lot of promise. Itâs been shown to help patients with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Alzheimerâs and Parkinsonâs disease by protecting the brain cells from toxicity.
For senior dogs, CBD has been shown to protect the brain from cell death caused by free radicals and toxins.
- Increases Appetite And Helps With NauseaÂ If you have trouble getting your dog to eat, CBD may help. The National Cancer Institute reports that CBD increases appetite and carries this extra benefit, in addition to controlling cancer.
In animal studies, CBD has also been shown to help with vomiting and nausea, even when theyâre the result of toxins and drugs.
- CBD OIL Promotes Cardiovascular HealthÂ Just as veterinarian Dr Bassingthwaighte discovered, CBD has been linked to heart health. Studies show it can reduce the damage from damaged blood vessels and irregular heart rates, protect blood vessels from damage and dilate the arteries, and reduce heart rate and blood pressure associated with stress and anxiety.
BonusâItâs Legal & Safe!Â With so many studies showing the health benefits of CBD, the most encouraging result is that CBD appears to be safe, even when taken in high doses and over extended periods of time. It can decrease the activity of liver enzymes used to metabolize many prescription drugs, so if your dog is on medication, you might want to check with your holistic vet before using CBD.
Most CBD oil for dogs and other pets is derived from hemp oil, so it contains no or very small traces of THC. Because of this, all 50 states have approved the use of hemp-based CBD for human and animal products.
The bottom line is, CBD oil could be a healthy (or even life-saving) herb for your dog. More and more pet owners and holistic vets are drawn to its diverse and marked health benefits and they feel good knowing the side effects are mild and animals donât appear to build up a tolerance.Â â˘